Wednesday, June 6, 2012

End of Year- Vocabulary Photo Album

My students participated in a vocabulary activity that will be used with future students. They helped create vocabulary photo albums based on the terms they've studied throughout the school year. When the next school year begins I'll have a photo album for each table group to use as a science glossary.

What we did...
First, I created a simple template for my students to use.

I cut out each section and handed them out randomly. Students had multiple cards to complete and a letter of the alphabet was assigned to each card. From there, students decided which vocabulary word they wanted to use, added the definition and illustrated the word.

As students completed a card they placed them in stacks alphabetically. That made it easier to see which words we were missing.

I had purchased photo albums/brag books from a local dollar store. We used the photo albums to store the completed vocabulary cards. So next school year I have a visual glossary for my students to use and the best part is that it is chocked full of the vocabulary words for 8th grade science!

10 comments:

JulesLynae said...

I love this idea! I am moving from teaching 4th grade Math and Science to a smaller school where I will teach Science to 3rd-8th grade... I think I will start one for each grade level...

Unknown said...

Glad you like it! I'll try to add the template to Google Docs and link it back to this blog posting. Please share pictures as your students create the albums. I'd love to post some here as other examples! Best wishes with teaching the multiple grade levels :)

Stephanie

Anonymous said...

Could you add the template for other teachers to use? =)

Mrs. Wilson said...

Is this template available anywhere?

Unknown said...

I am working on making the template and putting on Teacher's Notebook for free!

Teri K said...

What is the name of the template on Teacher's Notebook? I have been trying to find it on my own but I can't.

Meredith F. said...

Thanks for sharing the idea and the printable, Stephanie. I think this will be a great addition to my science lessons this year!

Unknown said...

Meredith, You are most certainly welcome! Best wishes on a successful school year :)

Unknown said...

Great idea! I posted a link to your blog on my facebook page! I tried to link to your facebook page but for some reason your facebook page icon on your blog isn't working and I couldn't find it :(
https://www.facebook.com/TeachingScienceRocks

Anonymous said...

Love this idea. Where can I find this graphic organizer so I can get started with my students?