Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Formative Assessment Project



Formative assessment is so important in understanding what our students get or don't get.  As I've researched new assessment ideas, I came across yet another idea....yup, on Pinterest!  The original idea was used by an elementary teacher to keep up with her students' afternoon transportation home.  She created three posters each one titled with a different way of getting home; car rider, bus...  Then students were assigned their own personalized clothes pin and would pin their clothes pin on a ribbon connected to the correct poster.

I liked the idea for classroom organization but decided to take it in a different direction.  I created three posters depicting three different levels of understanding.  My goal is to assign all of my students a personal number and write that number on a clothes pin for them to use throughout the school year.  As I need to check the understanding of certain concepts, I'll have the students to pin their numbers onto a ribbon that will be attached to each sign. This is will give me an immediate visual of whole class understanding levels and also I can match up the individual numbers with student names.  This will help me to focus questioning and reteaching strategies.

This is a work in progress.  I know I will end up changing colors and possibly editing the signs later!  But this is what I have so far...








Formative Assessment "3-2-1" template

No comments: