Monday, August 6, 2012

When God Created Teachers...

All too often I tend to focus on negative aspects instead of counting my blessings.  Today as I was cleaning out my closet I came across a gift a former student gave me back in 2001.  The gift is a poem placed inside a picture frame.  Reading the poem today brought me to tears.  I have lost sight of why I became a teacher and this poem reminded me of what is really important in working with children.  I used to look at teaching as a calling.  It was something I loved doing more than anything.  But recently I've viewed teaching as nothing but a job.  I need to redirect my focus as a teacher.  Teaching isn't about how much or how little money I make.  It isn't about complaining because I didn't get the new smart board or that I have spent hundreds of dollars on school supplies.  It's about the children, their ability to try and learn and my ability to guide them in the best ways possible.  So I want to thank that former student for giving me such a special gift.  It isn't just a framed poem, it's a lesson in redirecting my focus and learning to be a special guide for every child who walks into my classroom!  



When God Created Teachers


When God created teachers,
He gave me special friends
To Help me understand His world
And truly comprehend
The beauty and the wonder
Of everything I see, 
And become a better person
With each discovery. 
When God created Mrs. Jacobs, 
He gave me a special guide
To show me ways in which to grow
So I can decide
How to live and how to do
What's right instead of wrong, 
To lead me so that I can lead
And learn how to be strong.
When God created teacher, 
In His wisdom and His grace, 
Was to help me learn to make our world
A better, wiser place. 

3 comments:

Missy Short said...

Awww..you are so deserving:) I hope this is an awesome year. (And FYI...plese keep posting AWESOME stuff for me to use in my classroom. I love this blog!!!!)
Missy

Unknown said...

I hope this is an awesome year as well. It very well could be a make me or break me kind of year. I will gladly post all the ideas I steal/borrow from Pinterest and my favorite teaching blogs! I wish I had an original idea of my own to share ;)

Missy Short said...

99.9% of teaching is stealing!!!! You have good stuff on here!! I will say a prayer for a good year - education doesn't need to lose you :)
Missy